On behalf of the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA); the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; the State Justice Institute; and the National Association of Counties, the Institute for Intergovernmental Research is excited to share with you a new initiative, Reaching Rural: Advancing Collaborative Solutions.
This new initiative is grounded in the value of “for rural, by rural.” The hallmark of the Reaching Rural initiative is learning from rural practitioners and facilitating engagement across rural communities.
What is the Reaching Rural initiative?
The Reaching Rural initiative is a one-year initiative. Over the course of the year, the selected individuals and teams will receive coaching and participate in skill-building workshops as well as virtual and in-person learning experiences.
Participation in the Reaching Rural initiative includes:
- Travel and per diem costs to participate in an orientation, a field visit to observe the implementation of evidence-informed practices in a rural setting, and a closing session at the end of the 12 months. This is not a grant opportunity.
- Monthly mentorship and guidance aimed toward your local needs.
- Monthly assignments that help you apply core concepts to your local community or region.
- Access to a diverse network of rural peers, innovative rural communities, and technical assistance providers.
- Formal recognition for completing the planning initiative.
Is the Reaching Rural initiative for You?
We are seeking individual practitioners or cross-sector teams from the same community or region interested in adopting bold solutions and reimagining how diverse organizations and agencies with different missions can engage with one another to address the persistent challenge of substance use and misuse in rural communities.
The Reaching Rural initiative is designed for rural agency leaders or mid-level professionals working in counties, cities, or tribes as justice, public safety, public health, or behavioral health practitioners.
Applicants may apply to participate in the Reaching Rural initiative as an individual practitioner or as a member of a cross-sector team from the same community or region. Participation is limited to up to 20 individual practitioners and up to 10 cross-sector teams.
The deadline for applying is September 30, 2022, at 5:00 p.m., ET.
Curious to Learn More?
If you want to learn more about this initiative and application process, join us for an informational webinar on August 31, 2022, at 2:00 p.m., ET. Register at http://s.iir.com/Reaching_Rural.
You can also email us with questions at COSSAP@iir.com.